Denham Jeans

Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm sick of airports (and probably hotels too)

Well, this is something almost entirely self-inflicted. But at the same time, even though traveling around Japan after my time in Mongolia didn't really bring me much joy at the time, there is an itching to go traveling again.

The problem, and this is especially a problem when it comes to traveling alone, is that the joy tends to come for me in terms of what I buy (usually to give away as presents) or alternatively, what I eat or where I travel.

I often find I enjoy life a lot more when I am not thinking about money and finances at all. But airport shops and also generally other shops I go to, tend to encourage Luxury spending in my head.

This is not about whether I am spending within my means (which I think I am), but whether the whole corrosive consumer culture is a bit rotten.

Since I've been back, adjusting away from the simplicity (and admitted poverty in parts) of life in Mongolia via the nice hotels of Japan has almost made me physically ill. I didn't do it tough in Mongolia and at times I felt guilty at how cheap things were. Right now though, I am feeling guilty that I am living in a world of material prosperity while people seem to be struggling with the basics. To be honest, I don't want to feel like I am feasting while people look like they are starving.

I don't know quite what to do about how I'm feeling. But I'll see what comes from it in the next little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home