Denham Jeans

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Blogging about Sex - why not!

You may have noticed that I have been in the mood to blog very recently. Maybe that reflects a restlessness in my life, or just that I've reached a new stage in thinking. A whole heap of choices about my life have been made in the last month, and I guess that the certainty in these big decisions helps me think through other issues, and move back into thinking about life in general.

I was at the Kelly Clarkson concert the other night, and had a great time, though I found myself a bit saddened by some of the stuff that happened in the concert.

Afterwards I found myself reflecting on pre-marital sex. This may be a strange admission, but the thinking had nothing to do with me desiring sex. I was thinking more about the tragedy that comes about when people take sex without strings.

I understand that this is controversial. Not everyone who reads my blog, especially on facebook will agree with this sort of discussion. Many guys and girls struggle with this sort of issue, and many more simply ignore it for the benefit of convenience.

But when 1 in 4 teenage girls have an STD, and when the concert I was watching was built on tales of broken hearts (for the female singers) and cheap lust (from the male singers) it is hard to ignore the issue.

I get frustrated when girls get excited and scream for the cheap stunt comments like "you girls are so sexy in Australia", even when those comments come from someone with a degree of popularity. I get even more frustrated when guys (myself included) get so caught up with a girls looks that they fail to even notice her heart.

Over time God's wisdom in things seems so nice. Knowing the angst and pain I feel every so often when I like a girl or when a relationship ends, it would only be worse with more strings attached too early. Love that endures comes from the blood, sweat and tears of hard work, but immediate sexual pleasure is available so cheaply, only to tear at the heart so soon after.

Sex was designed to express two people becoming one, a way to express at the same time the ultimate vulnerability as well as the ultimate joy that comes when you truly can trust your husband or wife. While we humans tend to muck around with God's design, pretending we know better, it is right for us to listen to God, hear his voice and honour his authority.

2 Comments:

  • ah, a good entry :)
    I didn't really notice all that much of sean kingston.. he was too loud..
    but the only song I knew was beautiful girls etc.. I can remember a bit how he emphasised it a bit much..

    yeh guys are visual.. and girls aural..
    it's a fact..
    and we should remind ourselves to not stumble others..

    By Blogger youna, at 12:14 AM  

  • Girls are aural?

    Explain...

    By Blogger Pete, at 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home