Denham Jeans

Saturday, October 14, 2006

The travel bug

Life has had some interested twists in it lately.

I feel rather keen to travel, and to visit some parts of the world that absolutely fascinate me.

Those places for me are rather different to those that fascinate my friends though...

Examples:
I am generally quite fascinated with the idea of travelling around Australia. (Except thanks to sporting activities and also many road-trip holidays with my family, I feel that I have done that reasonably well already - barring anything in North Queensland, Northern Territory and North Western Australia plus Melbourne and Tasmania).
I am also interested in travelling to the United States, but the cities I want to visit are not major Coastal places.
I am not a great fan of travelling to Asia now (especially after hearing lots of stuff from my UNSW friends about various places), and I really am not sure why I would want to go to Europe unless I was going to work.

I am generally quite content to live in a beautiful city (both aesthetically designed and naturally attractive) surrounded by wonderful mountains and travel often to a gorgeous South Coast. I have considered the US Travel thing for a little while, but it can be quite expensive, and also there is just so much to see and experience.

I guess I need to keep asking myself the following questions (although not too pragmatically):

1. What effect does travel like this have on the body of Christ generally?
2. When more than 2 days are lost simply in travelling there and back, how much time is reasonable to spend in a certain location?
3. How can I maximise the joy of the travel by sharing it with others?
4. What financial implications come from wanting to take holidays even occasionally frequently?


I guess those questions will be there for as long as I can travel. I almost feel guilt at the thought that I would spend thousands of dollars travelling to and from other parts of the world, just for the purpose of leisure.

I still need to work on relaxing and enjoying myself. I have begun much more to actively appreciate what God has given me, but there is always more to do. Please pray that I keep my eyes on God, and not getting frustrated that I don't get to spend more time simply enjoying his creation.

1 Comments:

  • Interesting comments on travel. I didn't know that you have been thinking of the US trip for a while... I hope your trip to Mongolia and Japan would be a wonderful and worthwhile experience for you. Afterall, you have spent quite a lot of money on the trip. Have a good one.

    By Blogger Mandy, at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home