Denham Jeans

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Music

There always seem to be a song lyric to define a mood, it is part of the whole nature of music promotion that will seek to connect with those most likely to buy their stuff, reflecting where they feel their life is going. (It doesn't fit the mood of many songs from an earlier era - but it fits things more appropriate now).

Elsewhere on the internet a commenter suggested a certain song to define my mood. I'm not sure it fit exactly, I know it fit how I felt months ago, but it doesn't always stay stable.

But in the end, I think I am concerned about something. In the endless ways in which music tries to fit our moods in the stories, there is a danger that we go to music to define and understand what we feel rather than God.

An appropriate feeling in all our circumstances relies so much more on our trust in God than on how our youthful angst is reflected in music.

Some examples of Scripture (from the ESV) are as follows:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21)

I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:10-13)

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. (1 Timothy 6:17-19)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home